Hello everyone, and welcome to a brand new year! I really hope you all had a wonderful holiday season with your loved ones. I know I feel refreshed and happy and radiant from the most beautiful time of year! I hope my tips and tricks to stay healthy from my previous post helped you throughout the holidays too. Those tips work great anytime, really, especially at family events, work events, parties, get-togethers, even on vacation! Sticking to your guiding principals is very important, and vital to your long-term happiness and success in your endeavors! And this is what I’d like to talk to you about today: what GUIDES you, what MOTIVATES you, and how to STAY ON TRACK with those new years resolutions that are oh so hard to keep!
I’ve always been the “make a resolution and fall off the wagon a week later” type of girl. Every year it was, “be healthier”, “eat more greens”, “drink more water”, “exercise”, but nothing ever stuck. The only resolution I actually have kept for 3 years now was my resolution to GO VEGAN. I made the mental decision three years ago in December, but I decided to fully commit as of January 1. People told me it was risky, because people generally do not keep resolutions. I, however, KNEW this was the one that woulds stick. WHY? Because it aligned PERFECTLY with my guiding life principals – compassionate and healthy living. I knew I wouldn’t fall back because I was so SURE about my decision, because it was something I BELIEVE it, and because I had done all my research, and I had come to terms with the decision. I knew my life would never be the same, and I was ready for it. I embraced it!
I want to make sure that YOU don’t fall off the resolution train! Don’t settle for less, because you really deserve the life that you dream about. There’s no greater feeling than that sense of accomplishment that you feel when you overcome an obstacle or reach a goal, and TRUST ME, everything you want is right there at your grasp. You just gotta learn how to get out of that negative mindset and keep reaching for that goal. Let go of all your negative self-talk. You know the one I’m talking about. The little voice you hear in the back of your head that says “you’re too tired, go back to bed, you don’t need to work out today”, “you’re no good, you can’t do this”, “you’re not strong enough”, “you’re not smart enough”, “you’re not pretty enough”, “you’re ugly”, “you’re a failure”, “you’re too fat”, “you’ll never lose weight”, “you’ll never gain muscle”, “you’ll never get that promotion”, “you’ll never graduate”, “you’ll never…. you can’t… forget about it…. you’re a loser….” SHUT THAT VOICE UP! TELL IT TO TAKE A HIKE! Be FIRM with that voice and stick it where the sun don’t shine.
You have to know that voice is WRONG. You are the exact opposite of all those things. You are beautiful, strong, smart, capable and READY. All you have to do is start training yourself to speak in a POSITIVE voice. Tell yourself “I’m awake, I’m alive, I’m not tired” every morning when you wake up. If during a workout you start to get tired, tell yourself “I’m not tired! I can do this!”. Before an interview tell yourself “I’m so smart and so beautiful, and I GOT THIS!”. Throw away your scale. It does not define you. Instead, tell yourself “I’m getting fitter, stronger, tighter, leaner, slimmer, healthier every day”. Measure your success by how you FEEL in your body, how your clothes fit a little looser than usual, how people tell you “wow you look so great!”, “wow you’re eyes are shining!”. Learn to look at yourself and think, “I’m working hard and it is paying off”. No matter what your goal is, you can and WILL reach it, IF and WHEN you start believing in yourself.
OK motivational rant OVER! Now for some quick bullet-point type tips…
– Sign up to 30daypush.com. HONESTLY, this is going to be a HUGE help. Chalene (who I’ve spoken about a billion times in past posts) guides you through 30 days of self-improvement and finding your goals, with a quick 5-10 minute lesson every day. JUST DO IT!
– Figure out your GUIDING PRINCIPLES, your PRIORITY. Is it your family? Your health? Your career? Your volunteer work? Figure out what GUIDES you, what you base all your decisions on, and work from there. (Again, CHALENE explains this so much better than I do!)
– Get an accountability buddy. Find a friend, family member or coworker who you can work with to reach your goal. You don’t have to have the same goals, just a passion to achieve them and the willingness to help each other out.
– Join an accountability group on Facebook. These have helped me a LOT. They help you stay on track with your goals. You log in every day and report in on what you did. It sounds annoying, but really, it is SO helpful to keep you on track.
– Write a list of all the things you want to accomplish. Make them as CRAZY as you want!
– Create a vision journal. Add in quotes, pictures, whatever, make it pretty, make it simple, make it creative, make it YOU. Express yourself on paper and it will help you a lot.
– Wake up every morning and WORK OUT. You will feel great all day, have high energy and get more accomplished during the day.
– Set an alarm on your phone to remind you to do one little thing every day to get you closer to your goal. This is a great way to start.
– Chuck away all the junk food from your house. Replace with whole, healthy foods.
– DRINK MORE WATER.
– SLEEP MORE.
– EAT FREQUENTLY.
– Tell at least 5 people your goal. That way they know what you’re striving for, and you have that much more motivation to continue on.
– Follow inspirational people on Instagram. I follow TONS and they really help me to stay on track and give me the motivation to keep up my goals every day.
– Find a coach! Someone to mentor you, to guide you, to offer you support, to answer your questions, to be there for you. I know a really good one! (hehehe… you can always count on me, I’ll be there for you! Just add me on Facebook or email me!)
– If you fall off the wagon, please don’t beat yourself up. We all make mistakes and we ALL have slip ups. That doesn’t mean you’re weak or bad or wrong, it doesn’t make you a loser, and it DOESN’T give you permission to give up. Get right back up, dust yourself off, and keep moving. NO matter HOW MANY TIMES you fall down, get up and keep going every single time. No one is perfect. No one succeeds without failing first. JUST DO IT!
As always, I’m here for you and will do my best to help answer any questions and offer you so much support! I’m just a click away 🙂 feel free to follow me on Instagram (username: gorgeousssleep), Twitter, add me on Facebook or e-mail me (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
Lots of peace, love and motivation in this new and exciting year,